Date: Sunday, 7/19/15 Evening Worship
Speaker: Dr. Deron Cobb
Message: “Loving One Another Matters to Church Membership”
Text: Romans 12:10
I. What Is Brotherly Affection?
- Comfortable Around
- Family Like Affection
- Willing to Honor
II. Why is Brotherly Affection so Important?
- God commands that we love with affection and that we honor each other because these two experiences (along with the others in Romans 12) show the reality of our new nature in Christ.
- God demands that we love with affection and prefer to honor each other because this strengthens and confirms the faith of those we love affectionately and honor.
- God demands that we love with affection and prefer to honor over being honored because this displays the glory of Christ, because he is the one who enables us to live this way and this is a portrait of his own character.
- God demands that we love with affection and honor each other because this lures the world to love him and all that he is for them in Christ.
III. How Do We Love One Another?
- Preach to yourself that other believers, no matter how imperfect, are the children of God, your Father.
- Look for evidence of grace in their flawed lives.
- Remember you were once utterly alienated from God and cut off without hope.